Tuesday, May 11, 2010

In over my head.























I felt the title to this one might be appropriate. We have lived in our home for just over 3 years and we are feeling a little cramped and also a bit tired of some things about the house. I admit at times we have just complained, well Instead of complain anymore I felt like doing something about it. First we looked at what we could do on the inside and have done a few little things, Bathroom upgrades, ceiling fans, carpet etc. and then thinking of some big things it just looks as if we would be spending 20-25K on the house. So I have come up with a much better alternative to liven up our home and make it more livable for a lot less money. So here we go with some Original pictures.

As you can see the house was built in the 40's and probably hasn't changed a whole lot since.
THE PLAN
Here are my ever so awesome renovation plans. I want to cover the ugly rod iron pillars in the front with cedar planks and maybe add some fake stone on the bottom. I plan to raise the garden in front to make it cleaner and separate from the lawn. I want to sand all the red pillars and the garage doors and stain them to match the front pillars. A natural wood color. I want the house to have the craftsman style so we are going to paint it a tanish brown and accent with a darker green. The backyard needs help. The door out the back that is now two windows is a must and I want to make it more of a nice space that we can hang out in and enjoy. I don't know how to do all of what I want so I hope to get help along the way. But I just hope that I don't get "in over my head" with something I can't finish.
To show that I am motivated I have posted two pictures of what I have done in just over a week. I have sanded the pillars and now today started on the garage doors. I am very excited and like this because everyday I do more and can see my progress. I figure that posting it now instead of a before and after will keep me motivated while I update the blog with new additions to the renovation.

1 comment:

AFLefty said...

Lot's of work, but it'll make a huge difference...Make sure you don't need a permit for the French doors, or the cover on the pattio...also, Grandpa Leftwich can be a big help on design/how to when it comes to building it.